Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Meeting President Mandela

In 1998, President Mandela invited representatives from a handful of the top community projects around South Africa to present their work at a dinner with him.

On 04 February, I walked into Tuynhuis with a small group of obviously nervous people.

Who would not be?

Dinner with the President!

Over dinner we listened to the great man as he chatted. After the meal, delegates stood at their chairs, (as per our pre-briefing), and each talked to the President about their particular project, answered questions, and sat down again. It was so simple!

Not for me though. Earlier in the evening I arrived at Tuynhuis with a massive project chart rolled up under my arm and, after much negotiation, nagging and eventually shameless pleading with security personnel and aides, I was allowed to post my chart on the dining room wall. A great idea, I thought.

When it was my turn to speak, I regretted this. It meant that I had to forfeit the safety of my chair and walk somewhat shakily to the far side of the dining room to where my chart was hanging. After my presentation was over, President Mandela spoke directly to me, but I only heard snippets and was in too much of a daze to hear what he was actually saying and too embarrassed to ask anyone what he had said. I made it back to my seat and could not move for a long time.

At the end of the evening, we had an opportunity to shake hands with the President as we left, with permission to photograph this singular honor.

I waited till last and, instead of taking President Mandela’s hand as had all the other people before me, I asked if it would be possible to shake hands for the camera in front of the project chart.

The President explained that ‘endorsement photographs’ such as this had to be cleared through his public relations department and that their permission had to be obtained first.

In one of those rare moments when you hear your own words a few seconds after they leave your lips, I heard myself saying: “But I thought you were the Boss?”

With a mischievous smile in his eyes, which I shall always remember, he said:

        “You are right ....
          I am the Boss ...
          Let’s go”

President Mandela then led the way to the project chart, now centre stage in the empty dining room, and talked some more before he shook my hand and photos were taken. He spoke to me again, and this time round I understood him clearly. It was about the project and the work we were doing in Manenberg.

I am grateful to all who contributed to made the project work and especially the core team ..






1 comment: